Folders are usually used to organize all your emails in one place as you regularly do in Groups. You can easily manage your emails by moving into folders according to the sender’s name, subject, or dates. As you create labels in Google apps, they will convert into folders in Outlook.
If you are working on a project, you can create a folder by project name and move all the project related emails to that folder. So it will be easy to handle all the current project-related emails and, you will always get updated without getting a headache.
You can delete your outlook folders if your outlook is facing a low space problem or got cluttered. Yes, it happens because every day we get rids of messages in our emails.
Most of the time, we get unimportant messages. Sometimes we remove them, and most of the time, we ignore them. So we get our outlook low on space. Deleting a folder in outlook will helps when you were working on a project and created a folder related to that project topic. But now that project is completed, so you can delete that folder with this outlook’s useful feature.
Delete a folder from Outlook Client
Once you created a folder, you can delete it any time. If your folder junked with many older emails or useless emails, either delete those emails or delete the entire folder to manage your inbox. Deleting a folder is easier in Outlook. Maybe sometimes happens your folder is empty and not in use. It’s better to remove it. You can only select your folder and delete it. Here how you can delete your folder in outlook:-
- Open your outlook and select the folder that you want to delete.
- Now right-click on the folder. A popup menu will appear, then select Delete Folder.
- Now it will ask you, move “Folder Name” to your deleted items folder, click on the Yes (You can only delete the folders you created, not the default folders like Inbox, Outbox, or Sent Items.
- You can check your deleted folder in Deleted Items If you want, you can revert them.
- To permanently delete your folder, Go to Deleted Items and click on the Empty Folder button on the ribbon.
- This will delete all your items present in the Deleted Items folder.
Giving Permission Error while Deleting a Folder
If you are deleting a folder and getting an error like “Cannot delete this folder, right-click the folder and then click Properties to check your permissions for the folder. See the folder owner or administrator change your permissions. Cannot copy the folder because it may contain private items.” This error will come if you are trying to delete an empty folder. Follow the below steps if you are getting permission error:-
- Select the folder from the left-side navigation pane. Now click on the Folder All the folder related actions will appear.
- Then select Folder Permission in the Properties
- Now select the user to whom you grant permission. Write permissions will allow creation and edit permissions. Read permissions grant them to read or view the content. Delete permission allows them to Delete their own or all the items. Select your permissions wisely.
- Now click on the OK It will apply all the settings that you made.
- After applying the settings, try to delete the folder and check whether it is working or not.
Delete a folder from Web Version of Outlook
You can delete a folder from the Outlook web app that is nothing but Outlook.com. Sometimes outlook client fails to delete a folder, as we discussed in the above section. We were getting the permission error while deleting the folder. This kind of error does not seem in the Outlook web version. So instead of using the client to delete a folder, use the web app to delete it. Here how you can delete a folder from Outlook.com:-
- Go to Outlook.com and log in with your account.
- Now right-click on the folder that you want to delete. If the folders are collapsed, click on the arrow next to Folders, then select folder.
- Now select Delete Folder. Select OK in the Delete Folder dialog Box.
- All your deleted folder and their content will move to Deleted Items If you deleted the wrong folder, you could recover it from Deleted Items
- To permanently delete a folder from your Outlook.com, go to Deleted Items folder and select the folder you recently deleted. If you don’t want to recover anything from your Deleted Items folder, click on the Empty Folder. All your items will get removed.
Delete a folder in Outlook for Android or iPhone
Many users are using Outlook on their smartphones like Android or iPhone. They want to handle all the emails, manage folders, move the emails from their device. They can do all kinds of stuff from their device, but also they want to create and delete a folder from their device.
But unfortunately, mobile users cannot delete a folder from their mobile devices. They need to use either the Desktop app or Outlook web app from their mobile browser. Then and then only they can remove a folder from their outlook.
How to Create a folder in Outlook
Outlook provides a great feature of creating a folder in your outlook. Suppose you logged in multiple emails in your outlook account You can organize all your emails by creating a folder in outlook. You can directly forward your emails by sender name to the folder that you created. It will always be easy to handle all your emails by sender name. Here how you can create your folders:-
- Right-click on your outlook email on the left-side navigation pane. Now select New Folder. In Create New Folder window, type the name of the folder and hit on the OK
- You can see your folder in the navigation pane.
- You can either follow a different process. Here how:-
- Select your email account from the navigation pane. Now click on the Folder tab from the menu bar.
- Now click on the New Folder. Type the name of the folder and hit enter button.
Create a subfolder
If you want to create multiple subfolders to a folder to organize all your emails, you create a folder in Outlook at any time. Just follow the steps.
- In the folder pane, right-click on the folder name in that you want to create a subfolder, select New Folder.
- Type the name in the New Folder box and hit enter. You can either create a subfolder by selecting a folder name in that you want to create a subfolder.
- Now click on the Folder tab and select New Folder to create a subfolder. That’s it you’re done.
Rename a folder in Outlook
If you wrongly named a folder and want to rename it, you can easily rename your folder name in Outlook. But note one thing, you can only rename the folders you created, not default folders like Inbox, Sent Items, etc. Right-click on the Folder Name, and select Rename Folder.
Now type the name of the Folder and hit enter. You can also rename your folder name from the Folder tab. Select the folder name that you want to rename, select the Folder tab in the menu bar. Now select Rename Folder and type your folder name.
So if you messed up with too many wastage folders in one outlook account just take a benefit of this service and get rid out of this issue.
That’s it! So This was all about how to delete a folder from your outlook account, for both the outlook.com web client and for android/IOS applications. We also solved the permission error that occurred while deleting a folder. Additionally, we also discussed how to create a folder and rename a folder in Outlook.