Twitch Chat Logs play an essential part in your time on Twitch, especially if you are a streamer. It works similarly to other platforms’ DM (Direct Message) feature. If you want to view the text messages that people who view your streams send you, you must go through the Chat Logs.
This post will guide you to check anyone’s chat history on Twitch, as it is tough to review the chat continuously while streaming. Many streamers decide even to show the logs to their audience to boost engagement. It is up to you how you want to utilize them.
- What are Twitch Chat Logs?
- Why should you use Twitch Chat Logs?
- How to Check Chat History with Twitch Logs?
- (1) Check Chat History as a Moderator
- (2) Check Chat History as a Channel Owner
- (i) Manually View Chat Logs
- (ii) Try User Search Command
- (iii) Use a Chatbot
- (iv) Use a Third-Party Tool
- (v) Playback VODs
- Final Words
What are Twitch Chat Logs?
Twitch is a widely used streaming platform that allows users to stream gaming and other content and interact with their audience. Twitch Chat is an essential part of the platform that enables streamers to connect with their viewers directly. The viewers can send you text messages that you can read. Twitch keeps a complete record of this chat, known as Chat Logs.
Twitch Chat Logs play a critical role in creating a safe and light viewing atmosphere for the viewers. It helps you to pick and ban harmful elements from your account. The Chat Logs also carry invaluable information about user feedback and responses essential for your overall growth.
That’s why you must learn how to utilize Twitch Logs to check anyone’s chat history.
Also Read: Best Discord Bots
Why should you use Twitch Chat Logs?
A lot of Twitch streamers overlook the importance of Chat Logs on Twitch. However, one should not do that as they are precious for the growth of your brand. There are many benefits that you can reap from Chat Logs. Let’s take a look at some of the most common ones:
- Allow you to check inappropriate comments & ban the user– You can go through the chat to find and remove any inappropriate comments that may violate Twitch’s Terms of Services to protect your channel.
- Re-evaluate Disciplinary Actions– Sometimes, the mods take inappropriate disciplinary actions against your viewers. You can re-evaluate them through Logs.
- Find Memes & Content Ideas– They are an excellent source for some hilarious memes, content ideas, new username ideas, and many more things.
- Receive Audience Feedback– You can find feedback from your viewers on what you should improve on your channel through the Logs.
- Collect & Evaluate Data– Chat Logs also work as a great source to find what content your audience likes and what it doesn’t. You can collect and evaluate all such data to grow your channel.
How to Check Chat History with Twitch Logs?
There are multiple ways to check anyone’s chat history with Twitch Logs. You can do it manually or with the help of tools. However, if you are a Mod, the methods are limited. But, if you own the channel, there are many ways available.
Earlier, Twitch allowed anyone to check a channel’s chat history with tools like OverRustle. After May 2020, Twitch made amendments to its policy, and it became impossible for people to stalk a channel’s Chat Logs.
(1) Check Chat History as a Moderator
Channel Moderators are allowed to check an individual viewer’s chat logs. To do that, follow these steps:
- Click on the sword icon present on the lower screen to enter ‘Moderator View.’
- Now click on a user’s name.
- You can now see the user’s complete chat history on the channel.
- Just scroll here to find any messages, bans, comments, reports, and even timeouts.
The procedure is straightforward.
(2) Check Chat History as a Channel Owner
If you want to check the chat logs of your channel, you have several options available. I have listed all of them below. You can use the one that seems the most suitable to you.
(i) Manually View Chat Logs
The simplest way is to check the logs manually to read the chat history. Follow these steps:
- Visit Twitch, and log in to your account.
- Navigate to the right side of the screen and click on ‘Channel Options.’
- Next, navigate to Chats.
- A new window will open, which will display all the chat logs of your account.
That’s it. You can now go through any user’s chat from here.
(ii) Try User Search Command
Using “User Search Commands” is another simple way to find comments from any specific user on your channel. To do that, you have to type ‘command /user [username]‘ in the channel’s chatbox, and Twitch will display all the valuable data about the user. This data includes the user’s messages, account creation data, timeouts, bans, and your mods’ comments about the user.
It is beneficial if you want to catch and remove a user trying to harm your channel.
(iii) Use a Chatbot
Chatbots are very helpful on Twitch. They are automated tools that can help you perform specific tasks. Nightbot is a chatbot that allows you to moderate and filter your chat. Another chatbot known as ChatLogger saves your Twitch Logs, and you can view them in your free time.
You have to activate the chatbots to make them work. They will not collect any data or perform their given task if they are inactive.
(iv) Use a Third-Party Tool
A lot of Twitch streamers rely on third-party programs to track their chat. Chatty is a top-rated chat software that offers a long list of features to help streamers and moderators track the chat of their channel. The interface of this tool is simple and provides a learning curve.
However, Chatty doesn’t save your chats by default.
- You have to activate it.
- It also deletes older messages after some time.
- There are several other tools available as well.
(v) Playback VODs
Currently, recording and playing back your VODs is the only way to check the complete chat logs for a streaming session. It allows you even to view comments that a Mod removed.
However, this method is very time-consuming as you will have to go through the entire video. You can save your time by knowing the time of the comment you are trying to find.
Twitch Chat Logs are essential for any streamer on Twitch as they allow them to interact with their streamers, receive their feedback, and gather ideas. This is how you can view logs to check anyone’s chat history on your channel. I’d recommend using chatbots and third-party programs for general streams. But, if you are trying to find something specific, manual ways are better.
That’s all from my side. I hope it helps you enough. Feel free to use the comment box to share your opinions about it.