If you have lost or forgot your WiFi password and want to recover it, this post is specially written for you. Here, I will present to you a full guide on how to do WiFi Password Recovery on a Rooted as well as non-rooted Android device.
Forgetting passwords is a common human behavior. There isn’t anything to panic about that. The situations turn worst when you have forgotten your WiFi password or accidentally lost the connection to a WiFi whose password you don’t remember. To help you in such terrible situations, I’m writing this guide on WiFi Password recovery without Root.
How to do WiFi Password Recovery without Root?
The majority of android users have non-rooted devices. Not everyone wants to explore their smartphone to the deepest. That’s why it is essential that we provide you ways through which you do WiFi password recovery without root. There are 2 methods to recover a lost or forgotten wifi password without rooting your android device. I’ll explain them both.
Method 1: Recover WiFi Password through QR Code
If you don’t have a rooted android mobile but you want to recover a wifi password, you can give this method a shot. However, you’ll need two things in order to use and apply this method successfully. Number one, a mobile that is presently able to connect to the wifi network whose password you want to recover. Number two, a QR Scanner, you can use the built-in scanner app of your mobile or download Barcode Scanner by ZXing from Play Store.
Once you have both of these, follow the step-wise instructions mentioned below.
Steps to follow;
- Go to the Settings of your android mobile.
- Next, tap on Wifi and navigate to Wifi settings.
- Now enable the Wifi toggle button if it isn’t already enabled and let your device connect to the Wifi network.
- Once you have successfully connected to the wifi network, you will see a ‘Tap to share password‘ option. Tap on it. If you can’t find this option, your device doesn’t support this feature.
- You will see a QR code appearing on your screen.
- Just scan this QR code from the QR scanner app of another mobile that you want to connect to this wifi.
- Once you see the ‘Connect to this network‘ option, tap on it.
- The mobile will then automatically connect to the wifi network without entering the wifi password.
Method 2: Recover Wifi Password from the Router Settings Page
You can visit the Router Settings page to recover the wifi password on a non-rooted device. However, this method will only work when the Wifi administrator is still using the default username and password set by the company. The majority of the users tend to keep using the default password, so you might be a bit lucky here. To know if you are lucky or not, follow these simple steps-
- Open your browser and enter the following IP address in the search bar- 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. If the router you are using has some other IP address for the settings page, you have to find it out by calling the service center or checking online.
- On the settings page, you will a login interface.
- Visit the router company’s website and note down the default username and password that they set. Usually, the username is ‘admin’ and password is either ‘admin’ or ‘……..’ (blank).
- Enter these in the settings page login screen, and proceed.
- If you are successful to go into Settings, you are actually lucky. If you can’t, then this method ends for you here only.
- For users who were lucky, just find and tap on Wireless or WLAN settings, and lookup for the wifi password.
- Note it down once you find it.
- Use the password to connect to the wifi network.
How to do WiFi Password Recovery on a Rooted Android Device?
Wifi password recovery with root is very simple and fairly effective. If you have a rooted device and want to recover the Wifi password, I have 2 working methods for you a cent percent accuracy rate. Just use either of these depending upon your ease and you’ll be able to recover the wifi password within a few minutes.
Method 1: Recover WiFi Password with Inkwired File Explorer
You can use the Inkwired File Explorer when you have a rooted android device. The process is also very quick, simple and easily understandable. Follow the simple instructions mentioned below in order to use the File Explorer to recover the WiFi Password.
- Download and install the Inkwired File Explorer on your android smartphone.
- Launch the File Explorer.
- Find and tap on the ‘Root Explorer‘ option.
- Read and grant all the permissions that the Root Explorer asks.
- Now tap on Local Storage, and then on Device.
- Next, go the System folder and look for a folder named ‘etc’ or ‘misc.’
- Once you locate the folder, open it.
- Here, find the Wifi folder and then find the wpa_supplicant.conf file in it.
- When you find this file, press and hold it until you see a pop-up.
- From the list of available options, choose File Editor.
- Alternatively, you can open the file with any text editor or notepad.
- When you see the file in the text format, just search for the terms SSID and PSK. SSID is wifi name and PSK is password
- Note these and use them anywhere you want.
Method 2: Recover WiFi Password with adb
If you have a PC and a rooted android device available, you can try this method to recover the wifi password. Follow these simple steps in order to know what you need to do.
- Connect your android mobile to your computer using the USB cable.
- Open adb on your PC.
- Type adb pull \data\misc\wifi\wpa_supplicant.conf C:\Users\<username>\Desktop\wpa_supplicant.conf in it to get the file on your desktop.
- Alternatively, you can use the File Explorer to navigate to the wpa_supplicant.conf file.
- Just open this file with Notepad. You can also use other text editor tools for this step.
- Find and search for the terms SSID and PSK. SSID is wifi name and PSK is password
- Note them down somewhere so you don’t forget them again.
So that’s how you can recover wifi password without root and with root. If you have any doubts, queries, or suggestions regarding this post, feel free to use the comment box below. I’ll be glad to listen and reply. I hope this post helps you to get back the wifi password you need.