Google Assistant is a very handy tool from Google. It is like the first person you go to whenever you want to know something. With its evolution over time, the Google Assistant has become nothing less than a friend. However, sometimes it may start causing nuisances. Or, some people just find it hyperactive. In such situations, it is necessary that you know how to turn it Off.
In this post, I’ll explain to you that. You will learn how to turn Off Google Assistant permanently. Also, I will guide you on disabling it temporarily on Smart home devices and turning off voice commands.
What is Google Assistant?
Google Assistant is the official virtual assistant developed and provided by Google. It is AI-powered and hence aimed to work just like humans. Google primarily provides it on Mobile and Smart Home Devices. This virtual assistant is able to take orders to do tasks like playing songs, telling some, and whatnot, while also being able to get engaged in two-way conversations. Hence, the Google Assistant is an amazing utility provided by Gooogle.
Some Common Features of Google Assistant
- Let’s take a quick look at some of the most common yet very useful features of Google Assistant.
- It is able to control your devices as well as the smart home.
- You can control music with it.
- It is able to access information from your calendars and other personal sources.
- You can control the content playing on Chromecast with it.
- It is able to launch apps on your smartphone and perform operations.
- You can find real-time spoken translations with it.
How to Turn Off Google Assistant Permanently?
Google Assistant is all useful and cool but sometimes it may appear a bit frustrating. Before moving to the steps to turn it off, let’s discuss why it is essential to learn about disabling it. There are a number of situations when Google Assistant can be very annoying. For example, when it responds to the voice of the television and responds with unnecessary actions, or when you are talking to someone and you find your smartphone speaking about very unrelated topics. I’ve suffered this personally.
Any situation where Google Assitant becomes over-intelligent and is activated without being needed is the reason why you need to know how to turn it off. So, here I’ll explain how to do that. Follow the simple step-wise guide mentioned below in order to turn Google Assistant Off on your Android mobile.
[Steps to Follow]
Follow these steps to turn off or disable Google Assistant permanently so it won’t annoy you anymore.
- Launch the Google app on your Android mobile.
- Now tap on More present at the bottom right of the screen.
- Next, tap on Settings.
- Here, find and tap on Google Assistant.
- Switch to Assistant tab, scroll down to find Assistant Devices, tap on Phone, or any other device for which you need to turn it off.
- Finally, tap the Google Assistant toggle switch to the Off position.
That’s it. Alternatively, you can also say “Hey Google, turn yourself off” and you’ll find the instructions to do it. Then, you just have to follow them and that’s all. Isn’t it too smart for us?
How to Temporarily Turn Off Google Assistant on Smart Home Devices?
Google Assistant can also be annoying on your Smart Home devices. So, you can disable it temporarily. This is done through the Google Home app. I’d recommend disabling it only on a temporary basis as it is a much-needed tool to properly operate these devices. If you have a smart speaker, smart clock, or smart TV, you can easily control them with it. So, don’t turn Google Assistant off permanently for the smart home devices.
[Steps to Follow]
Follow these steps to disable Google Assistant on your Smart Home Devices.
- Launch the Google Home app.
- Now tap on Home and choose a device.
- Next, tap on the gear icon to go to Settings.
- Here, tap on Digital Wellbeing and then tap on New Schedule.
- Select all the devices you want to apply the changes and then tap on Next.
- Now pick the days and select a ready-made schedule. You can also create your custom schedule. After choosing the schedule, tap on Next.
- Next, select the Start and End time and tap on Next.
- Finally, tap on Done to apply the changes.
That’s it. Now the Google Assistant will not for the Smart Home Devices for the mentioned period of time. When this schedule is completed, you can re-do the process again to keep the change going. Or, if you change your mind and miss Google Assistant, then you can reverse the procedure to get it back.
How to Turn Off Voice Commands for Google Assistant?
You can simply turn off Voice Commands for Google Assistant and a lot of problems would be solved with just that. When you do this, Google Assistant wouldn’t be activated accidentally or unnecessarily. So, you can take full benefits of the virtual assistant without it frustrating you to the core. Isn’t that great?
[Steps to Follow]
Follow the simple instructions mentioned below to turn off voice commands for Google Assistant on your device. However, keep in mind that the procedure may vary slightly depending upon the device you are using.
- Go to the Settings of your smartphone.
- Scroll down a bit and tap on Apps.
- Now tap on the three dots present at the top right of the screen to access more options and then tap on Default apps.
- Next, tap on the Device Assistance app.
- You will find a number of settings here that you can alter like On-screen text or image analysis, Active Edge, etc. Find and tap on the Gear icon to go into advanced settings.
- Here, tap on Voice Match.
- Just turn the toggle switch for Access with Voice Match to Off position. Keep the While Driving switch On so you can get help from Google Assistant while driving.
That’s it. This is how you prevent Google Assistant from taking unnecessary voice commands.
Google Assistant is a great virtual assistant and works as an amazing utility. However, sometimes it takes unnecessary actions. So, now you know how to turn it off. You can also disable it temporarily for smart home devices and turn off the voice commands. For further help, you can visit the official Google Assistant thread. Or, you can ask me questions or give suggestions about anything present in this post.