Have you ever wondered if you can use Messenger without Facebook account or logging in to Facebook.com? Fortunately, it is possible. You can use the wonderful Messenger app without having an active Facebook account. This is a pretty useful thing for people who like to chat using Messenger but don’t trust Facebook with their privacy.
In this post, I will explain how to use Messenger without Facebook Account in a detailed step-wise guide. Just go through this post, and you’ll be able to chat on Messenger without having to log in to your Facebook account.
How to Use Messenger without Facebook Account?
Messenger is one of the most used Instant Messaging (IM) apps worldwide. Facebook users rely on Messenger to interact with each other. With the latest privacy breaches from Facebook, more and more people are opting to quit it and shift to other platforms. There are other reasons as well to why people don’t want to use Facebook. But, Messenger stills remains a heavily used app among all. Not many people know that you can use Messenger without having a Facebook account now.
Facebook rolled this feature in 2015 where you can register on the Messenger with your phone number and use it to chat with your friends or anyone you want. Earlier, this service was launched in the USA, Canada, Peru in Venezuela, but then it was launched worldwide. This feature appears very convenient now for people who don’t want to continue using Facebook but still want to use Messenger. I’ll explain how you can do that.
Steps to Follow to Use Messenger without Facebook Account
Follow these steps in order to use the Messenger without having to log in with your Facebook account. You will need an active phone number for this.
- Download and install the Messenger app on your smartphone. You can download it from the Play Store on Android and from the App Store on the iPhone. Messenger is installed by default in certain Android devices.
- Once the app is installed, Launch it.
- Now you will see the login window asking you to log in with your Facebook account. Here, tap on the Create new account option.
- Next, enter your phone number and tap on Next.
- You’ll receive a 6-digits confirmation code to check the phone number is active and yours. Enter it in the prompt screen and tap on Next.
- Messenger will then ask you for certain ‘Permissions’ like Access to Contacts, Access to Microphone, Access to Camera, etc. Allow them accordingly.
- You will also be prompted to set a profile picture for yours. Do that, or you can skip it for later.
- You can tap Find your phone contacts on Messenger to automatically get people using Messenger from your contact list on the app. Or, you can do this manually by searching them from the search bar and adding them up.
- Once everything is set, you can start using Messenger without connecting with your Facebook account.
That’s it. You can now chat with anyone you want using Messenger and you won’t even need your Facebook account for that.
De-activate Facebook Account and Use Messenger
If you don’t trust Facebook or have any other valid reason to not use Facebook, you can just de-activate it right now. But, that doesn’t mean that you have to stop using Messenger also or you’ll lose your Messenger chats. Isn’t that amazing? Read further to know how to de-activate a Facebook account and then use Messenger with it.
- On Desktop, go to Facebook.com and log in using the username and password of your account. You can also do it via mobile but you’ll have to use the Puffin browser and access the desktop version of Facebook.
- Now head over to the Settings menu.
- Here, find and click on Your Facebook Information.
- Next, click on Deactivation and Deletion.
- Select Deactivate Account and then click on Continue to Account Deactivation.
- Just follow the on-screen instructions and complete the procedure.
- Once you have successfully deactivated your Facebook account, launch the Messenger app on your mobile.
- Log in using your Facebook account username and password. Alternatively, you can also log in with your phone number as mentioned above.
That’s it. In this way, you can have a de-activated Facebook account but you can still use the Messenger app and chat with your Facebook friends and contacts. Deactivating a Facebook account will make it invisible for everyone on Facebook but if you log in with it on Messenger, people can message you there only. To re-activate your Facebook account, you only have to log in once on Facebook.com.
Use Messenger Lite without Facebook Account
Messenger Lite is the lightweight version of the Messenger. It is a fast, simple, and easy to use app. If you are just a casual user who uses Messenger for instant messaging, I’d recommend you to try Messenger lite. There are many benefits of using it like less power consumption, less data usage, fewer storage requirements, and faster operations. You can also Messenger Lite without needing your Facebook account.
Follow the steps mentioned below to know what you need to do.
- Download and install the Messenger Lite app from Play Store.
- Once it is installed, log in using your deactivated Facebook account or use your phone number.
- After logging in, go through the initial setup and start using it.
That’s it. This is how you can use Messenger Lite without having an active Facebook account.
Key Tip: Switch to Facebook Lite and Messenger Lite if you want your smartphone’s battery to run longer. These apps are lightweight and hence consume less power and internet while providing you a very similar experience to the main apps. The main apps consume too much power, storage, and battery making your phone slower and laggy.
Summing it up
That’s how you use Messenger without Facebook. You just have to use your phone number to log into the Messenger and you can use it even with a de-activated Facebook account. Also, try switching to Messenger Lite and FB Lite and share your experiences with me in the comments section.
That’s all for this post. If you have any queries, or suggestions regarding it, feel free to use the comment box. I’ll be glad to listen from you.