eBay is one of the oldest marketplaces on the web. And, it is still one of the key players in the industry. People love buying from and selling on eBay. This widespread usage for more than two decades has given birth to some very interesting eBay stats and facts. We’ll take a look at their compilation in this post.
Here, I will present to you the most interesting eBay Stats, Facts, and Insights that you must know this year. If you’ll miss these, you’d be losing out on so many things
All eBay Stats, Facts & Insights That You Must Know
Online shopping has been rising since the introduction at a rapid rate. Some of the names have become synonymous to ‘online marketplaces.’ One of them is eBay. It is a multi-national eCommerce platform where you can buy or sell your goods. eBay is important for both the buyers as well as the sellers. Buyers find it like a big-box store. They get whatever they want at a single place with great variety and reasonable prices.
Sellers find it an amazing platform to showcase their products in front of a huge audience base. eBay has been one of the oldest yet still active online marketplaces in the world. These eBay Stats, Facts, and Insights will help you to know about its story, journey, and so many things. If you are an eCommerce enthusiast who is looking to start out on eBay, you can definitely benefit from this information.
Facts & Stats About the History of eBay
eBay has a very interesting story and journey to becoming a top eCommerce platform. Let’s take a look at that in the form of stats and facts here.
- Pierre Omidyar, a French-born Iranian-American computer programmer founded eBay as AuctionWeb in California on September 3, 1995. He launched it as part of a larger personal website.
- The first-ever item sold on AuctionWeb was a broken laser pointer for $14.83. A ‘Collector of Broken Laser Pointers’ bought it.
- Chris Agarpao was eBay’s first additional employee. They hired him to process mailed checks coming in for fees.
- In November 1996, they entered into their first third-party licensing deal with Electronic Travel Auction. They did this to use SmartMarket Technology to sell plane tickets and other travel products.
- By January 1997, AuctionWeb was hosting over 200,000 auctions.
- In September 1997, AuctionWeb got renamed to eBay.
- Omidyar wanted to register for the domain name echobay.com but it was already taken by Echo Bay Mines. So, he went on to register for eBay.com.
- In March 1998, they hired Meg Whitman as eBay President and CEO. By this time, eBay had 30 employees, 500,000+ users, and revenue around $4.7 million.
- Beanie Barbies accounted for 10% of all eBay listings in 1997. The platform had become a significant platform for toy collectors.
- eBay went public on September 21, 1998.
- By 2000, eBay gained over 12 million registered users. Also, more than 4.5 million items were on sale on any given day.
This was how eBay started and transitioned into what it is today.
Demographic eBay Stats, Facts, & Insights
eBay is now a global preference to buy and sell products. If you are looking to increase your business overseas, eBay is the right stage to use. These demographic eBay stats, facts, and insights will tell you the same.
- eBay is operating in over 100 countries worldwide. They have around 23 international websites.
- The countries with the maximum percentage of sellers are the USA (28%), UK (26%), China (17%), and Germany (16%)
Image Courtesy: eMarketer.com.
- The male to female ratio of buyers on eBay is 57:43. There are 57% males and 43% female buyers on eBay.
- Around 32% of the buyers on eBay have an age between 35 to 49 years. They make up the largest age group of buyers.
- The 2nd largest age group is made up of 25 to 34-year-olds with 18%.
- 14% of the users are 18 to 24 years old while buyers with age 65+ make up 7% of all the buyers.
- The UK is the country with most ‘top eBay sellers’ (308), followed by China (222), USA (203), and Germany (178).
- Out of the top 100 eBay Sellers, 54 are from the UK.
eBay is now everywhere and used by everyone. You can literally sell or buy anything on the platform. Unless the thing is illegal.
eBay Stats & Facts About Users and Usage
Here the most interesting eBay stats and facts about the users and their usage.
- eBay has over 185 million active buyers right now. The number is increasing every day.
- There are more than 25.5 million sellers on eBay.
- eBay has over 1.4 billion listings on the platform.
- There are more than 250 million eBay Classified users.
- eBay app has over 502 million downloads globally.
- More than 2 billion transactions take place on eBay daily. Mobile is the preferred device to make transactions on eBay.
- Over 450,000 collectible items are sold every single day on eBay.
- Every day, 400+ cars, 12,350 ladies’ shoes, 8700 handbags, and 1200 tablets are sold on eBay in the USA.
- ‘Electronics and Accessories’ (16.4%) is the most sold category on eBay. ‘Automotive’ (11%) comes on number two and ‘Health & Beauty’ (9%) comes third.
- Over 940,000 sellers use the ‘Promoted Listing’ feature on more than 250 million listings.
- Here are the top 10 eBay Sellers.
These statistics will help you understand how helpful and useful eBay has been for a lot of people worldwide.
Financial eBay Statistics
eBay tasted success just in the beginning when they were able to sell a broken laser pointer for around $15. They haven’t stopped ever since. You can verify it by going through these financial eBay statistics.
- eBay headquarters are situated in San Jose, California, United States.
- Jamie Iannone became the CEO of eBay on April 27, 200
- eBay’s annual revenue for 2019 was over $10.9 billion.
- eBay purchased iBazar in February 2002. In October of the same year, they bought PayPal.
- By 2008, eBay had already gone global with over 15000+ employees worldwide and $7.7 billion in revenue.
- In 2017, eBay bought a 5.44% stake in Flipkart.
- Two years later, in July 2019, eBay purchased a 5.59% stake in Paytm Mall.
- eBay’s Gross Merchandise Volume for Quarter 4, 2019 was $22 billion. This means that $22 billion worth of goods were bought and sold on eBay in Q4, 2019.
eBay has now got huge as a company. They aren’t going to stop any time soon.
eBay is one of the oldest yet leading online marketplaces in the world. It has got millions of active buyers as well as sellers. These are some of the most interesting eBay stats, facts, and insights. You can use these for a lot of things, especially, if you are thinking to start out on eBay as a seller.
That’s all for this post. I hope you find it useful. If you have any questions or suggestions regarding anything mentioned here, feel free to use the comment box.