The Meaning of “Basis”
The word “Basis” has several different meanings, and it would be hard to note down each and every one of them. So, in this case, we’ll only discuss some of the more common definitions. In the Merriam-Webster dictionary, “Basis” is described as “the bottom of something considered as a foundation.” Another definition says that it’s “the principal component of something.”
In most cases, the word “Basis” is commonly used when you’re trying to say that one thing is based upon something else. You could also say that the word signifies a fixed system, which can be exemplified in the way we say “daily basis” when we actually mean “every day.”
According to some sources, the word “Basis” has Latin and Greek roots, specifically from the late 16th century. Back then, the word denoted a pedestal or base with which you step or stand on in Greek, while in Latin, the word more or less meant “foundation.” It’s clear to see that this kind of definition was brought to the modern world as well.
How to Use “Basis” in a Sentence
Now that you have a better understanding of what the word “Basis” means, here are a couple of usage examples to show you the different ways you can use this particular word.
- This company is great because it doesn’t hire its employees on the basis of their religion, gender, sex, age, and race.
- Can you show the scientific basis of your theory?
- We will provide the information on a need-to-know basis.
- She studies on a regular basis, so she passes all her classes with flying colors.
- I didn’t know the both of you were on a first-name basis.
- Do you have a basis for saying such things?
- The story she wrote was the basis for this film.
- I need to start saving because I have to pay my bills on a monthly basis.
Hopefully, this article helped you understand the word “Basis” more than ever before. As you can see, there is a variety of ways you can use this word, and it’s important that it’s part of your everyday lingo because “Basis” is definitely one of the more commonly used words in the English language.