Snapchat is the wildly popular multimedia messaging app and sending snaps via the app has become customary these days. Every day, millions of people send snaps and build streaks. If you are a Snapchat user, digital marketer, business, or just a curious reader, I have got some very fascinating Snapchat stats and facts for you.
I’ll share them all in this post. From how it started to how it exploded to success, what sorts of people use it, and many more such statistics that are worth knowing. You can benefit from these depending upon how you take them. Or, you could just grab a box full of popcorn and go through this post for fun only.
All Snapchat Stats & Facts that you must know
Snapchat is the app-primary social media and instant messaging platform that has become massively popular, especially among the younger generation. On Snapchat, you can send messages and snaps to other users on the platform. The snap is an exclusive term for the pictures and videos sent via the app. With its appealing user-interface and unique chat style, Snapchat has become one of the leading names in the industry.
There are several features on Snapchat that make it stand out among the others like Stories, Filters, Automatic deletion of chats, and many more. A lot of people only use Snapchat for its camera as it provides some really interesting filters and lenses for amazing pictures. If you are habitual to updating stories wherever you go or whatever you do, there are pretty good chances that you have Snapchat installed on your smartphone.
Let’s take a look at some Snapchat stats and facts that are truly fascinating and will make you drop your jaws.
How Snapchat Started?
Snapchat was created by Evan Spiegel, Bobby Murphy, and Reggie Brown. All three of them are former students of Stanford University. It was developed by Snap Inc., which was known as Snapchat Inc. then, and launched on 8 July 2011. Reggie Brown first brought the idea for disappearing pictures application to Evan Spiegel on which Snapchat was sown. Brown and Spiegel then included Bobby Murphy in their plan as he had experience in coding.
After the hard work of several months, the three of them launched Snapchat as ‘Picaboo’ for iOS on 8 July 2011. The app was then relaunched as ‘Snapchat’ in September of the same year. In the beginning, the developers put more focus on technical aspects of the app to make it more usable instead of putting more effort into branding. The only notable branding aspect was Brown making a mascot known as “Ghostface Chillah” the face of Snapchat.
Some Key Facts about the History of Snapchat
- Snapchat was created by Evan Spiegel, Reggie Brown, and Bobby Murphy.
- It was first launched as Picaboo for iOS on 8 July 2011 and then relaunched as Snapchat in September 2011.
- Snapchat was released for Android on October 29, 2012.
- Reggie Brown was expelled from the company only after the months of the launch of Snapchat.
- The three of them also got into a legal dispute which finally settled in September 2014.
- Evan Spiegel described the aim to launch Snapchat as “Snapchat isn’t about capturing the traditional Kodak moment. It’s about communicating with the full range of human emotion — not just what appears to be pretty or perfect.” in their first blog post on May 9, 2012.
The Rise of Snapchat
The Snapchat app became an instant hit that can be easily verified by going through the following facts.
- By May of 2012, users were sending 25 image snaps every second and until November 2012, the users had shared more than one billion photos on the iOS app.
- Snapchat released Snapkidz for users under 13 years of age in June 2013 and also released the 5th version of the app which was dubbed as Banquo for iOS. This version had major feature updates.
- By May 2015, Snapchat users were sending over 2 billion videos every day which reached up to 6 billion by November of the same year. And, by 2016, the number reached 10 billion.
- By February 2017, Snapchat had 160+ million daily active users which grew to 170+ million by mid-2107.
- By December 2019, it became the 5th most downloaded app of the decade.
That’s how Snapchat rose to new heights every single year. The flight is still on and the numbers it is carrying today are available in the next section.
Snapchat Stats about Users & Usage
Snapchat has become one of the most used applications now and has millions of active users. Let’s see how Snapchat is currently doing.
- Snapchat is one of the most downloaded apps of 2019 with more than 53.5 million downloads. It ranks 5th on the most downloaded apps list with only TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube above it.
Picture Source: SensorTower
- It has more than 360 million monthly active users and over 218 million daily active users.
- Snapchat has over 101 million users in the USA only which is the country with the biggest Snapchat user base. India comes second on the list with 23+ Million Snapchat users followed closely by France with 22+ Million users.
- Snapchat users create over 3 Billion snaps every day.
- An average Snapchat user opens the app 30 times a day and uses it for 72 minutes in a day.
- 60% of Snapchat users are between 16 to 24 years old.
- 78% of Internet users aged between 15 to 24 years use Snapchat.
Picture Credit: Statista
- Snapchat is more popular among girls with over 70% of Snapchat users being female.
- 29% of Snapchat users have installed the app for the camera.
That’s about how people are using Snapchat these days.
Snapchat Stats & Facts about its Revenue
Snapchat primarily earns by working with partnering up with advertisers and big brands and selling intrusive ads. Here are some stats and facts about the app that are worth noting.
- Snap Inc. reached $1 Billion in revenue by 2017 despite the poor performance of the company’s stock.
- Snapchat had revenue of 32 Crores USD in the Q1 of 2019 which increased throughout the year.
- Snap Inc’s revenue grew 50% by Q3 of 2019 compared to the previous year.
- In the last Quarter of 2019, Snapchat generated $561 million in revenue.
- The average revenue per user of Snapchat is $2.57.
- The total revenue of Snapchat in 2019 is over $1.72 Billion.
It is safe to say that Snap Inc. is really on a roll now.
Miscellaneous Snapchat Facts and Stats
Here are some random facts about Snapchat that you should read right now.
- The name of Snapchat’s mascot “Ghostface Chillah” comes from Ghostface Killah of the hip-hop group Wu-Tang Clan.
- After an app update in February 2018, Kylie Jenner sent a tweet criticizing the new design of Snapchat which reportedly made the app lose more than $1.3 Billion in market value.
- 95% of Snapchat users say that the app makes them feel happy.
- Over 400 million Snapchat stories are uploaded every day.
- The Dog-Face is the most used Snapchat filter followed by the Flower-Tiara.
- There were claims roaming the web that Snapchat was launched as a platform focused on sexting. However, CEO Evan Spiegel denied the reports and claimed them as false.
- Women are more addicted to Snapchat than men.
Aren’t some of these really interesting to read? You can add some more if you know by commenting below.
Snapchat is currently the hot-thing on the internet. And, it isn’t dropping the title anytime soon. The credit for its success goes especially to the unique design and list of features. It is a very interesting app for both users and brands as the ‘Discover’ feature lets brands show ad-supported short-form content to the potential audience. Also, if you are a business, you can create exclusive filters and other promotional stuff to boost your sales.
In my opinion, Snapchat is currently one of the best apps to promote your product or services. These facts and stats prove the same. That’s all for this post. I hope you find it helpful as well as interesting. If you have any queries or suggestions, feel free to use the comment box.