If you want to know how to update drivers in Windows 10, then you have come to the right place. Driver updates can bring new features (like improved framerates for games) and bug fixes. There are a lot of websites that offer malware disguised as driver updates to users and that’s why this article is important. We are going to discuss different methods that you can use to download and update your device drivers. You can also stick around till the end of the article to learn more about drivers. Let’s get started.
How to Update Drivers in Windows?
There are three methods that you can use to update drivers in Windows. The list is not ranked since these methods are pretty simple and you can use the one method that sounds the most convenient for you. Also, note that a lot of Windows drivers are automatically updated with Windows updates.
Method 1. How to Update Drivers in Windows Using Device Manager
Windows has the Device Manager, which among other things, can be used to manually update drivers in Windows. To do so, just follow these simple instructions.
- Press Windows+X to open the Quick Access menu and click on Device Manager. Alternatively, you could press Window+R to launch the Run dialogue box, type in “devmgmt.msc” and press Enter.
- Find the device whose driver you want to update and right-click on it. Select Update Driver.
- Here, you have two options. You can either let Windows search for a driver update or browse your files for the update.
- Select the first option and let Windows download and install the update.
- After the driver update, restart your computer for the changes to take place.
How to Update Drivers in Windows If Windows Is Unable to Find an Update?
If Windows can’t find an updated version of the device driver, then it’s a good idea to find the update yourself and then install them.
- Go to the hardware manufacturer’s website and then download the latest update that’s compatible with your device.
- After it’s downloaded, extract it.
- Open up Device Manager and then right-click on the device.
- Select Update driver and then select Browse my computer for driver software.
- Then, click on Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
- Click Have Disk option and select Browse.
- Choose the folder where the extracted update file is located at.
- Press OK and hit Next.
- The driver will get updated.
- Restart your computer.
Method 2. Using Third-Party Updaters
Even though updating the drivers are easy, finding the drivers and individually installing them can be a chore. That’s where third-party driver updaters come in. They can automatically, find, download and install drivers for you. I have listed a few of the best driver updaters below.
1. Driver Booster
Recently, I fixed my old laptop and installed Windows 10 on it. However, there were a lot of issues and outdated drivers. Because of the laptop’s age, I had a lot of trouble finding the device drivers. That’s where Driver Booster came in. It made everything extremely simple.
- Download Driver Booster installer from the IOBit website. You can also just click on this link.
- The installer will install Driver Booster on your computer. It may take a while, depending on your Internet speed.
- Run Driver Booster and click Scan.
- Driver Booster will give you a list of outdated drivers.
- Click Update and that’s it.
2. TweakBit Driver Updater
TweakBit Driver Updater is another major driver updater out there. Like Driver Booster, it also makes finding and installing new drivers extremely simple. All you have to do is install the software, run it and press scan. Tweakbit Driver Updater will scan your computer and give you a list of outdated drivers. You can select the drivers that you want to update and then hit update.
Method 3: GPU Software (Only For GPU Driver Updates)
With AMD launching amazing budget CPUs, DDR4 RAM prices going down, the release of great games and GPUs at amazing value, the interest in gaming has gone up a lot in the past couple of years. GPU driver updates can sometimes provide massive improvements in gaming performance and fix bugs. AMD and Nvidia have programs that can be used to update GPU drivers.
GeForce Experience (For Nvidia Cards)
- This app is installed automatically while installing drivers. If you don’t have it, download GeForce Experience by clicking on this link.
- Log in (create an account if you don’t have one).
- Click on the Driver tab.
- Click Check for Updates.
GeForce Experience will install the driver update. It will also inform you if there’s an update available.
AMD Radeon Settings
- Launch AMD Radeon Settings. If you don’t have it, you can download it using this link.
- Click on Updates at the bottom-left corner.
- Hit Check for updates and download the recommended update.
Method 4: Update Windows
Windows updates come with a lot of device driver updates too. Windows will be updated automatically, so you don’t have to worry about that. you can manually check for Windows updates by going to Settings>Updates & Security and then click on Check for Updates.
What Are Drivers?
A device driver is a program that lets the operating system and other software communicate with the hardware. It basically acts as a translator. And that’s why updating drivers are important. Outdated drivers mean that Windows and other programs will not be able to communicate properly with the device, which can potentially cause errors.
So that’s all you need to know about how to update Windows drivers. I hope that you found this article helpful and you are no longer having trouble with outdated drivers. If you have any doubts or suggestions, please let us know in the comments section down below.