All smartphones are trackable and can be located with the help of a unique ID called IMEI number. Most of the users are not aware of the IMEI number, but knowing about it helps a lot in situations like losing mobile to someone or tracking the GPS location of the mobile. Contrary to that, changing the IMEI number has some awesome perks that will enchant you. In this article, I am going to comprehensively answer the question— How to change the IMEI number of any Android mobile phone?
No doubt changing the IMEI number is not easy as it looks, and hence, you should be very careful while doing so. Before moving to the main subject, make sure you have rooted your smartphone because you cannot change the IMEI number of a non-rooted smartphone. Let us not waste anymore of our time and move further to the main subject— How to change the IMEI number of a smartphone?
- In many countries, changing the IMEI number is illegal, make sure you check the telecom policy of your country before changing the IMEI number of your device.
- Once the IMEI number of your device is changed, it cannot be tracked if stolen or lost.
- We strongly oppose the idea of changing IMEI number and our article is strictly for knowledge purposes.
How to Change IMEI Number?
IMEI stands for International Mobile Equipment Identity; this number is allotted to every mobile device, which helps in the identification and tracking of a mobile device. In our day to day life, the IMEI number is not much use for us, but in case theft or misplacement, IMEI is the most important factor in locating a mobile device.
There are several developers and tech enthusiasts who want to change the IMEI number of their device to test certain features and applications. A mobile phone can have one or two IMEI numbers depending either it is a single sim or dual sim phone. The method of changing IMEI is different for Android and Ios. We will discuss both topics separately; let us get started.
How to Change IMEI Number of an Android Device?
Android is an open-source platform for mobile development; it is one of the most used mobile operating systems around the globe. There are several features and advantages that a person can enjoy after changing their IMEI number of an android device. But if you want to change the IMEI number of your device, the very first thing that you have to perform is to root your device to provide it with the core privilege and control.
Most of the people are familiar with rooting, but if you’re not, don’t worry below I have mentioned a quick elaboration of rooting and how you can root your android device.
What Is Rooting?
Rooting is a process wherein a device running on an android operating system bypass the limited privileges set up by the manufacturer to attain the full control (Root Access) on the phone.
Root gives a person the administrative control that aids in running several applications and programs; rooting makes your android device faster and provides several exciting features. If you are new in this field then rooting can be quite complicated for you, below I have mentioned a brief guide with the help of which you can root your android device.
Points to Keep in Mind before Rooting -:
- Rooting a device voids its warranty; it means once you have rooted your device, your device warranty will get over itself.
- If the procedure is not followed properly, you can be left with a bricked device stuck in a boot loop.
- It is highly recommended to take a ROM backup before rooting your device so that you can restore your data if anything goes wrong.
How to Root Android Device?
To root an android device, you have to deal with many files and programs of android, which can be next to impossible for a normal person. In such a case, we can use third party applications or software to root our android devices.
There are several applications and software that let you root your android device with the help of a computer as well as without a computer.
MAGISK is one of the best applications that help to root your android device; it has a success rate of 95% and can easily root most of the android versions.
You can take the help of this comprehensive guide to root your android device using magisk.
Change IMEI Number in Android
Once you are done rooting your device, the next step is to install the Xposed Installer and Xposed Framework on your device; it helps to run several modules on your device. It is very easy to install the Xposed installer you can download and install from the link below.
- After downloading and installing the Xposed application and installer, the next step is to download the IMEI changer application from here.
- Open the Xposed application, go to the module section, and tick mark IMEI Changer Application to activate the module and then restart your android device.
- Open IMEI changer application; there on the screen, you can see the original IMEI of your device, below that click on Random IMEI, and then on the apply button.
- If everything is done well, your IMEI will be changed.
How to Change IMEI Number of your iPhone
From the viewpoint of software editors and developers, IOS is a very rigid operating platform that does not allow normal people to modify its software, applications, and files. The features of an IOS device is very restricted as compared to an android device; IOS users can too change the IMEI number of their device.
Changing the IMEI number gives a new identity to your device. There are two methods of changing IMEI numbers in an IOS device jailbreak method and non-jailbreak methods, respectively. Below I have demonstrated both the methods; you can go with the one you prefer.
Change IMEI Number in iOS Device (Without Jailbreak)
Most of the iPhone users are afraid of jailbreak because to perform jailbreak is not everyone’s cup of tea. The latest method to perform jailbreak for the latest version of Ios is not known, moreover, it voids the warranty of your expensive apple device. In such a case, it is a better option to use a third-party application or software to change the IMEI number of your device.
Ziphone is a computer tool that helps to change the IMEI number of an iOS device without jailbreak, below are the steps you can follow to change the IMEI number of your iOS device using Ziphone Tool.
- Open the dialer of your iPhone and dial *#06#* and note down the original IMEI number of your device.
- Download the Ziphone Tool for your computer from here and extract the folder on your PC.
- Boot your iPhone into recovery mode by holding power and slip button, now connect your phone with the PC.
- Open the Ziphone folder on your PC that you downloaded and open the command window by pressing shift+Right Mouse Button.
- In the command window, type “Ziphone” and press enter.
- Next type Ziphone -u -i a123456789012345 in the command window and press enter.
- In place of “123456789012345” above type, your new 15 digit IMEI number.
- You can check your new IMEI number by calling *#06#*
IMEI is an essential ID of your smartphone, and playing it without any technical knowledge is undoubtedly stupid. I recommend not changing the IMEI number without any purpose. Also, it is subjected to as a criminal offense in several countries and, therefore, be aware of the fact that it is against the law in certain countries.
I believe that after this read, your queries are resolved, and you do not have anything to dig & search. But if you have any issues regarding the topic, then comment below, and I will respond to it in no time. Also, share this useful information with your mates and help them to change their smartphone’s IMEI number.
What is your reason for changing the IMEI number of your device? Share your experience.