Back to Blog »

UPDATE: Advanced Sleep Analysis has officially released! Find more details on our release blog post!

Basis is excited to announce Advanced Sleep Analysis – the most in-depth sleep assessment in the health tracker market – to be released later this month with version 2.0 of our mobile and web app. We are also introducing the new 2014 Carbon Steel Edition which integrates hundreds of improvements to the hardware and incorporates our most advanced technology yet. Both will debut and be demoed at our CES booth from January 7 – 10.

Watch our overview video and the get the details below.

ADVANCED SLEEP ANALYSIS

Leveraging our Body IQ™ technology, Basis is the only health tracker that comprehensively captures every aspect of your sleep: REM Sleep, Deep Sleep, Light Sleep, Toss-and-Turn, Interruptions and Duration. To help you understand and improve your sleep quality, Basis provides a personalized sleep dashboard with a summary of these metrics, an easy-to-understand Sleep Score, your benchmark for sleep quality, and rolling averages for key metrics so you see your progress over time.

Our online and mobile apps help you visualize your sleep data: REM Sleep, Deep Sleep and Light Sleep – as well as Interruptions and Toss-and-Turns.

MOST COMPREHENSIVE PICTURE OF YOUR SLEEP

Basis automatically detects every phase of sleep that is critical for maximizing your mental and physical performance. Based on cutting-edge sleep science, your sleep chart or hypnogram shows the frequency and duration of each phase of your sleep – REM Sleep, Deep Sleep and Light Sleep – as well as Toss-and-Turn, Interruptions and Duration.

REM Sleep, or Rapid Eye Movement sleep, primarily renews the mind by playing a key role in learning and memory. The more REM sleep you get, the more likely you will wake feeling refreshed and ready to be the best version of yourself throughout the day.

Deep Sleep is how the body repairs itself and build up energy for the day ahead. Deep Sleep plays a major role in maintaining your health, stimulating growth and development, repairing muscles and tissues, and boosting your immune system.

Light Sleep is typically what constitutes the majority of your sleep and allows your body to transition into REM or Deep Sleep.

Toss and Turn and Interruptions are good indicators of your restlessness or restfulness. Some people toss and turn more while others turn less. Interruptions, significant breaks in your sleep, can be caused by many factors – a snoring partner, a late night bathroom trip or just an inability to stay asleep.

Basis provides a breakdown of each phase of sleep – what it means and how much you should be getting.

PERSONALIZED SLEEP ANALYSIS

Basis provides you with the tools to easily understand your quality of sleep, make changes and see your progress over time.

Sleep Score: To help you easily evaluate your sleep quality, Basis provides a personal daily Sleep Score built around your individual data.

Benchmarking: The Basis dashboard displays a rolling average of key metrics – your Sleep Score, Toss and Turn and Interruptions –  to help you benchmark your progress.

Weekly Sleep Report: To help you chart your progress on a weekly basis, Basis sends you a Sleep Analysis Report that includes Duration, Toss and Turn, and Interruptions.

Healthy Habits for Sleep: Our unique Healthy Habits system enables you to take small actions like sticking to a consistent bedtime to improve your sleep quality over time.

Your Sleep Score is your personal benchmark for sleep quality. Benchmarks let you track your progress over time.

WORLD CLASS RESEARCH

In developing our Advanced Sleep Analysis, the Basis Science team partnered with researchers at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), Veterans Administration (VA) and the Northern California Institute of Research and Education (NCIRE). Basis was benchmarked against consumer devices as well as medical grade devices to provide the most comprehensive picture of your sleep among health trackers.

Advanced Sleep Analysis will be release on January 21st with Version 2.0 of our mobile and web apps. Basis B1 users will  have access to Advanced Sleep Analysis upon this release. The ability to upgrade the B1 band demonstrates Basis’ unique ability to provide new features without requiring new hardware purchases.

2014 CARBON STEEL EDITION

Screen Shot 2014-01-02 at 4.51.01 PM

To usher in the new year, Basis is also shipping its 2014 Carbon Steel Edition. This latest model is the culmination of hundreds of improvements over the last year based on user feedback, real-life testing and incorporating the latest technology. Some highlights include:

- Body IQ™ automatically detects running, biking or walking as well as sleep

- Advanced Sleep Analysis automatically detects REM Sleep, Deep Sleep, Light sleep, and toss-and-turn as well as giving you a personalized Sleep Score and benchmark.

- Stretchable silicone straps for comfort and breathability.

- New strap connection can fit smaller and narrower wrists.

- Polished chrome and stainless steel details add a premium look.

- Double strap buckle keeps your band secure and looking neat.

Get the 2014 Carbon Steel Edition with the most advanced technology and a new premium look at our store today.

Thanks,

The Basis Team

207 thoughts on “New For 2014 – Basis debuts Advanced Sleep Analysis and the 2014 Carbon Steel Edition at CES

1. Scott Backman says:

I love my basis B1 so far but please tell me that the new sleep analysis, main reason I purchased it for Christmas less than 2 weeks ago, will not be available for the B1 I just purchased. I will be very displeased if it’s only available for a 2014 model. I’m hoping this is only a SW upgrade to my watch.

• Yes the Advanced Sleep Analytics will be available for the B1 with the release of version 2.0 of our web and mobile apps. We will continue to support the B1 with new updates in the future.

2. Are the advanced sleep analytics available with the B1 band or just the new Carbon Steel?

3. Will existing Basis owners have access to the new sleep analysis and other features via a software update? I just got my Basis as a Christmas gift, not knowing that a new version would be released this year with new improvements.

4. Any improvements on the ability to monitor heart rate during exercise?

• The latest update does not include any changes to how we capture HR.

• Will there be future upgrades on the heart rate monitor data gathering accuracy? There is a large customer base interested in crossfit, swimming, and biking activities that would like a system that can track heart rate accurately during these activities. Please advise.

5. This features is also available for the first basis version ?

6. Will there be an update for the b1 to have tge new sleep technology?

7. I was an early adopter therefore i have the 2013 basis band. What are the hardware differences between the basisband 2013 vs basis band 2014? Also will the basis band 2013 get the REM feature?

• Thanks for being an early adopter! We’ve just posted a long list of differences on other comments so we hope you don’t mind if we direct you there. Yes – your B1 will get the Advanced Sleep Analysis and will continue to get the latest features and software upgrades.

8. Michael Alzugaray says:

I just received in first week of December my Basis Watch? Is it now out dated vs. your newest update? Will the “older” watch have the Advanced Sleep Analysis that you mention above? What about the body IQ automatic detect mentioned above? Would my leather straps I purchased in December work on this new watch? Is their a return or upgrade proceess for units purchased in your holiday push given that you are just releasing new upgraded version so soon after the holiday? You don’t mention the highlights of the hundreds of improvements in the new watch, but I are there huge new capabilities , insights, or new habits/technology accuracy that makes getting the new upgraded unit critical upgrade or I don’t see new screens or capabilities or don’t have benefit of drastically better data? I think your company is on the leading edge and I have been very pleased with my unit thus far and have received and shared great compliments of the product; so I am not really complaining about the new innovation and feeling out-dated on my purchase last month, but very curious with my questions and if it is significantly better I will upgrade. I am not scarred if the extra $’s and the secondary purchase so close IF the new unit really has so many new features and I would be missing out. Thanks ahead for your quality response. You can call also at 513-652-3688. Thanks.

• Glad to hear you are enjoying your Basis band. No, the B1 you just bought is not outdated. It already includes Body IQ and it will include Advanced Sleep Analysis when that is available on January 21st.

Many of the hardware improvements crystallized in the 2014 Carbon Steel Edition are iterative and been slowly incorporated into the product over the course of the past year. Since you purchased your band recently, all of the hardware and software improvements are included, with the exception of the premium look, fit and feel that is still only available with the 2014 Carbon Steel Edition.

In addition, your B1 will continue to get the latest features and software upgrades (including Advanced Sleep Analysis as mentioned above) with the release of version 2.0 of our web and mobile apps.

9. Release to the UK soon please. Waited over a year for B1 to be released to find cannot order in the UK :(, it’s now been months since the US release and still no B1 in the UK.

10. Adam Swanson says:

Once again, you guys amaze me. Release a new product, and let the people with the B1 enjoy the updates as well. “good guy Basis” at it again. Thanks guys!

11. What’s the difference in the hardware? More details pretty please. I just got one right before Christmas and want to understand if it is worth selling mine on ebay and picking up this new version?
    I have so many questions:
    Does it use the same adapter for charging?
    Does it have the same battery life?
    Does it do a better job of capturing heart rate data?
    Are the dimensions the same?
    etc….

12. I can do without the new straps as I already have the silicone & steel + leather & steel bands for my existing B1.

Will there be an upgrade option to buy the updated B1 module without any straps for people that already have the original B1?

And has anything been done with regards to the durability of the face of the unit? The original B1 scratched pretty easily since it was just plastic.

I’d love to see a model with an actual metal case & real crystal face if possible.

13. It looks like an awesome software update, way to go! For those of us who have the original B1 but want extra comfort and style, will the carbon steel band be available for purchase separately?

Thanks!

14. Pingback: Basis Updating Fitness Trackers With In-Depth Sleep Analysis – PC Magazine | Finance Chit Chat

15. Pingback: Basis Updating Fitness Trackers With In-Depth Sleep Analysis – PC Magazine | Money ChitChat

16. Pingback: Basis Updating Fitness Trackers With In-Depth Sleep Analysis – PC Magazine | Healthy Eating

17. Stuart Barker says:

Is Body IQ™ only available on the new carbon steel? I’ve just ordered a B1 on ebay (to get in UK) and may cancel if I’m missing out on something significant. Without Body IQ do you have to manually state your activity like Fitbit?

• Body IQ is available on the B1 and Advanced Sleep Analytics will be available for the B1 with the release of version 2.0 of our web and mobile apps. We will continue to support B1 with new updates in the future.

18. Shelley Green says:

Is there a spec sheet that lists the differences between the new model and previous basis? If not, short summary?

• Our 2014 Carbon Steel Edition is the culmination of improvements in both hardware and software, big and small, that we have made over the course of the last year. Major changes include a premium look, feel and fit, improved water resistance, improved metrics and an improved display, with many smaller changes at the tooling level, less visible. These improvements were made based on user feedback, improvements in technology/reliability and other learnings over the course of the past year.

Major highlights for the 2014 Carbon Steel Edition:
      -Stretchable, silicone straps are more comfortable
      -The strap connection fits narrower and smaller wrists
      -The double “strap keep” does a better job of securing the strap so it doesn’t stick out
      -The polished chrome and stainless finish upgrades the user to a more premium look
      -Changes in the fabrication and production of the band improved water resistance, the product display, as well as the overall product performance

19. Will it be able to read heart rate while running now?

20. Pingback: Basis Updating Fitness Trackers With In-Depth Sleep Analysis | Fitness Seed

21. I’d like to know if the hundreds of improvements include a silent alarm, or true water protection from activities like swimming yet. Very interested in the product, but I’m primarily an Obstacle Racer so consistently wet or muddy.

22. Gavin sinclair says:

Found your product a year ago today and been checking every month for availability,
    We really need to get this product in the U.k. Can’t wait!

23. What are the “water resistance” parameters? Ok to swim? Has the hrm become more accurate during exercise with the ability to tighten the band?
    Thanks

• The Carbon Steel band is water resistant for everyday activities. We still don’t recommend it for swimming or water sports. However, we do know people have tested it with swimming and it has held up (just use at your own risk). This update doesn’t include changes to our HR sensors; however, if you were previously having an issue due to the band not being tight enough (e.g. on a small wrist), then the Carbon Steel Edition may help.

24. Will the Basis ever have a silent vibrating alarm function? I was hoping it would be incorporated into a new edition. Thank you!

• Unfortunately, we can’t comment on possible future features, but we can say that this is a feature that we know a lot of customers are interested in. We’ll pass your feedback along to the team as well.

25. What are the other specifications that the new Carbon Steel has over the B1? I read somewhere that it is waterproof – is that correct? What would be the advantages of having the CS version over B1 besides for aesthetics? Thanks!

26. What does the new 2014 hardware do that the original B1 doesn’t?

27. Is “Basis 2″ (new hardware) going to be released any time soon?

28. Will the new advanced sleep analysis data be integrated into a smart alarm clock?

29. Is there any difference between the B1 and this years carbon steel edition aside from the band? Any upgrades to it’s hardware?

30. Pingback: Basis 2014 | GadFit

31. I just received my B1 on 12/31/2013 (actually, I ordered one for a close friend as well). When I ordered there was no mention that a new and improved product was launching the day after I was to receive mine. I don’t understand why this wouldn’t have been advertised and why I wasn’t offered the option to pre-order the new module, understanding that availability would be delayed by a day.

Feeling duped and not happy that my friend is probably thinking I a cheapskate for getting her last year’s model.

Disappointing start to this relationship…

32. Daniel Botescu says:

Hello,
    Is there a silent alarm function that comes with the sleep monitor, for the purpose of waking you up when in light sleep?
    Thanks,

Daniel

33. Can the new carbon steel be worn while swimming and is the hrm now more accurate during strenuous exercise?
    Thanks

34. Does new edition track HR during exercises?

35. Can you clarify whats new in the new hardware
    is it just a new band type? or are there some real changes under the hood?

• “Many of the hardware improvements crystallized in the 2014 Carbon Steel Edition are iterative and been slowly incorporated into the product over the course of the past year. Since you just purchased the B1, all of the hardware and software improvements are included, with the exception of the premium look, fit and feel that is still only available with the 2014 Carbon Steel Edition.”

Pretty sure that means there aren’t any real ‘under the hood’ improvements, and that “hardware” means feel and appearance. More water resistance is the only ‘hardware’ thing I’ve read that doesn’t fit into appearance and feel.

36. Pingback: Basis Carbon Steel Edition | Fitness Band Reviews

37. When will the 2.0 be available for download?

38. Pingback: Basis fitness band adds REM sleep tracking, announces Carbon Steel edition | Paw Print

39. Michael Ellis says:

Aside from the strap, what hardware differences are there in the carbon steel edition?

40. Wow, it’s amazing how stupid people are. “Hurr durr, I have the B1, duhhhh… will the new stuff be available?” Hmmm. If you actually took 5 seconds to READ the article, Basis is very clear that the new software is available to us the 21st. That’s the benefit of Basis, unlike fitbit or fuel, they offer upgrades via download so that we don’t have to buy a whole new device. I doubt any of you actually took the time to read this little rant, but I couldn’t help myself.

41. I woke up this morning, checked my sleep stats, and had a few questions. Did a search online and came across this great news. I just purchased the B1 for the holidays last week and was thinking the sleep monitoring would be a little more detailed. So yeah, you came through! Can’t wait. Question about the new band. Is there any hardware difference between it and the B1. I see there’s a new strap and that something was done to fit smaller wrists, but I’m most concerned about under the hood improvements. Admittedly I’d be disappointed if
    that we’re the case.

42. What’s different about the 2014 edition vs the 2013 besides the carbon steel finish and the strap? I just ordered a 2013 off of Amazon without knowing there was a new edition. Should I cancel the order or are all of these improvements just to the software?

• Many of the hardware improvements crystallized in the 2014 Carbon Steel Edition are iterative and been slowly incorporated into the product over the course of the past year. Since you just purchased the B1, all of the hardware and software improvements are included, with the exception of the premium look, fit and feel that is still only available with the 2014 Carbon Steel Edition.

In addition, your B1 will continue to get the latest features and software upgrades including Advanced Sleep Analysis with the release of version 2.0 of our web and mobile apps.

43. Do you offer a promotional code for your site vs us buying on Amazon and you paying a commission? Would rather support the Home Team vs Big Brother, but can you give us some incentive?

44. I woke up this morning, checked my sleep stats, and had a few questions. Did a search online and came across this great news. I just purchased the B1 for the holidays last week and was thinking the sleep monitoring would be a little more detailed. So yeah, you came through! Can’t wait. Question about the new band. Is there any hardware difference between it and the B1. I see there’s a new strap and that something was done to fit smaller wrists, but I’m most concerned about under the hood improvements. Admittedly I’d be disappointed if
    that was the case.

• Many of the hardware improvements crystallized in the 2014 Carbon Steel Edition are iterative and been slowly incorporated into the product over the course of the past year. Since you just purchased your B1, all of the hardware and software improvements are included, with the exception of the premium look, fit and feel that is still only available with the 2014 Carbon Steel Edition.

45. Other than software, bezel, and strap is there any significant hardware differences between the 2013 and 2014 Basis base units?

46. Will this update retroactively analyse our old data? So will the new sleep stats be shown for data recorded pre January 21?

47. From what I read above, the hardware improvements are all within the band, not within the Basis sensors. Is this true? I do not see any literature that suggests the actual sensors have improved. Or perhaps this will be revealed at CES?

48. So what exactly is new on the Carbon Steel version versus the B1?

49. Will the upgrade calculate these metrics for data already measured with B1 v1.0 software or will the sleep metrics only appear on data measured after the upgrade? Or in other words, is it worth wearing basis in bed for now should I wait until the upgrade for the better metrics?

50. What are the hardware differences between the B1 and the Carbon Steel? In terms of technology; Whats been improved? It would really be nice to know specifics so wearers can evaluate if they should upgrade.

51. can you provide any specifics on the “hundreds” of improvements to the band? does it, in fact, have updated internals? and if so, how do these updates address issues people had with the previous version?

52. Any chance of doing a product upgrade/swap program for those that recently purchased or received a B1 for Christmas? Could include a discounted cost for the new 2014 model plus the return of the users existing B1 band? Then Basis could offer discounted refurbished bands to new users to entice more people to get involved with using a Basis product.

• Thanks for your suggestion Andrew. Many of the hardware improvements crystallized in the 2014 Carbon Steel Edition are iterative and been slowly incorporated into the product over the course of the past year. Since you just purchased your B1, never fear. All of the hardware and software improvements are included, with the exception of the premium look, fit and feel that is still only available with the 2014 Carbon Steel Edition.

53. Jeremy Gollehon says:

What are the sensor differences between the B1 and 2014 Carbon? I understand that sleep analysis is a software upgrade, but am wondering if the 2014 Carbon Steel Edition will be the most accurate choice.

Thanks.

54. Hi, this is brilliant news. I’m loving the fact you’re constantly improving this device.

Can you add this feature request though to your logs.

With this new introduction can you add an alarm to the Basis app so it goes off within a set range which is the most appropriate. Which is during light sleep.

Zeo does this and it’s such a good feature. It’s a shame the company has gone under. If you could add that though it would completely replace the Zeo.

Thanks

55. Justin Cervero says:

I’m super stoked for the new sleep analysis features. The generic sleep score has been one of the only spots I really feel like my B1 could be improved (the other being riding a stationary bike).

Can you give any insight into how it works?

56. That’s great that the B1 will get the same updates as the new Carbon Steel version. So what is the real difference between the two models, is it just style? Thanks

57. I see that both B1 2013 and 2014 will have sleep quality on new Web 2.0 interface.
    I would assume that most people are asking. I have B1 2013, should I buy B1 2014. You mention 100′s of improvements. Can you gives comparison of B1 2013 vs 2014 or is that trade secret until the CES expo? Thanks, Alex

58. Jorge Salomon says:

The Body IQ software is not getting the static bicycle, why?

59. Olivia Szulc says:

I have just purchased mine for Christmas. From my understanding, the BodyIQ is the same and the Advanced Sleep Analysis will be available through the 2.0 update. So what are the primary differences between the Basis B1 and the new 2014 edition?

60. I, too, just ordered the original version of the Basis B1 last week. I noticed the statement:
    “We are also introducing the new 2014 Carbon Steel Edition which integrates hundreds of improvements to the hardware…”

I am quite tempted to return it in favor of this new version with the better band. Aside from the band, what other “hardware improvements” were made in this new version?

• Many of the hardware improvements crystallized in the 2014 Carbon Steel Edition are iterative and been slowly incorporated into the product over the course of the past year. If you purchased your B1 over November or December of 2013, never fear. All of the hardware and software improvements are included, with the exception of the premium look, fit and feel that is still only available with the 2014 Carbon Steel Edition.

61. Will the new mobile UI allow users to edit the ‘insights’ list? I got my Basis for Christmas, and there are a number of instances in which it says I was sleeping, but I wasn’t. Or I was biking, when I was actually driving. Will I be able to manually correct this?

62. Aside from the band, what other “hardware improvements” were made in this new version?

63. Does the new carbon steel edition include a vibrating alarm for silent waking?

64. Does the Basis track calories for Yoga?

• Hi Amret. Activities are detected through some complex calculations involving several of the metrics we collect, but some activities are less likely to actually register as an activity. Unfortunately, yoga is a known issue. Activities such as yoga and pilates are difficult to detect because although there is movement and steps, they aren’t consistent enough to cross over the threshold to make the device distinguish this as activity. Hope this helps!

65. What hardware differences are in the new Carbon Steel. You’ve mentioned “hundreds of improvements over the last year based on user feedback” but don’t go into much detail here. Are there hardware, battery, sensor, display, or button changes in the Carbon Steel band or is it primarily a cosmetic and fit change (based on the new look of the watch and new wrist strap)?

I think I read on another website that the new Carbon Steel is slightly thinner than the B1, do you have other technical specs or a list of other changes that have been made?

I love my B1, and I’m trying to understand if the Carbon Steel will fix some of the small issues I have with the current build.

Thanks!

• Hi Joe, glad to hear you love your B1. Here’s a rundown of the changes:

Major highlights for the 2014 Carbon Steel Edition:
      -Stretchable, silicone straps are more comfortable
      -The strap connection fits narrower and smaller wrists

66. currently using the 2013 B1 version. Very happy with the frequent SW and feature updates. Want to know the physical spec. difference. Is there a place listing the actual difference? is it thinner? screen slightly bigger? battery last longer? sync cable same or different (dimension?) Bluetooth side button with better push feedback?
    Thanks for answering. If most of these answer are yes, will buy another one right away. Way to support a new product.

• Thanks for the feedback Fred – glad you are enjoying your Basis. The watch face is the same size (so not thinner or with a slightly bigger screen). The battery life, side button, and sync cable are the same. We’ve just posted the differences in reply to some other comments.

67. Are there significant operating differences between the 2014 and 2013 bands in terms of hardware? I’m thinking things like precision and accuracy, battery life, processing power etc.? I imagine many improvements can be implemented in software, but it would be interesting to know.

Major highlights for the 2014 Carbon Steel Edition:
      -Stretchable, silicone straps are more comfortable
      -The strap connection fits narrower and smaller wrists

68. Hey guys. Thanks for this!

I just thought to tell you that you are really doing an excellent job here, and the Basis is the band I recommend to everyone.

With the introduction of Body IQ and Advanced Sleep Analysis you have seriously updated the core feature set of the device in a way that totally changes for the better how I use it in my day to day. And you were sure to include them in the B1, regardless of the impending of the B2. Most manufacturers wouldn’t do this! It really goes to show your dedication to supporting your customers, and also your foresight in ensuring tech you could likely leverage data off of was included in the hardware from the beginning.

And, I do have to say, regardless of what many of the tech blogs have called a “clunky” device compared to your other competitors, the fact is (and this surprised me too) that people frequently and consistently complement me on the “watch” I’m wearing. Whats more, people that tend to do this are random folks on the street that actually go out of their way to stop me and tell me this! The design turns out to be quite trendsetting, and I never have the heart to tell these randoms that its a fitness band.

Anyways. Keep up the good work, and a really heartfelt thanks for being such an awesome company!

69. I was hoping CES to be an occasion for you to roll out API access, but looks like it is not the case :( are there any good news on that front? The inability to integrate the metrics gathered with third party apps is slowly but surely rendering my Basis useless.

70. haven’t responded to my comment that isn’t a RAVE review and might actually shine light on the concrete differences between carbon steel and the original B1? SHOCKING.

71. I’m curious about how the 2014 model compares to the B1 model. I’m guessing that further efficiencies in energy consumption were a goal in the 2014 model, is that correct?

72. So what is the difference between b1 and 2014 Carbon Steel Edition?

Major highlights for the 2014 Carbon Steel Edition:
      -Stretchable, silicone straps are more comfortable
      -The strap connection fits narrower and smaller wrists

73. Robert Nicholson says:

So you no longer offer the Carbon strap as an accessory and now it’s availability is rolled into the new 2014 edition/

It’s not clear other than the band how the hardware has changed for 2014.

Major highlights for the 2014 Carbon Steel Edition:
      -Stretchable, silicone straps are more comfortable
      -The strap connection fits narrower and smaller wrists

74. When will the Advanced Sleep Analytics/2.0 be released?

75. Just got my 2014 edition Basis band yesterday. So far, loving it. It fits well on my wrist, is comfortable, and looks pretty darn sharp! One of the reasons I wanted this was for the advanced sleep analysis. It looks like this will be available with version 2.0 of the web and apps. When will those updates be available?

76. Pingback: Getting Back On Track

77. So what’s the difference between the B1 and the new 2014 edition besides new look and feel?

Major highlights for the 2014 Carbon Steel Edition:
      -Stretchable, silicone straps are more comfortable
      -The strap connection fits narrower and smaller wrists

78. Pingback: CES 2014: Dreams Of A Good Night’s Sleep At A Glittering Tech Showcase | DIGIZENS

79. I was wondering if you ship The Basis 1carbon internationally? I live in Ireland.

80. I’m really looking forward to the new update! My primary reason for purchasing the product was for the sleep analysis. However, I was extremely surprised to discover the other day that the band has no alarm feature whatsoever?
    Will the new app enable the band to have a smart alarm feature (such as the Jawbone UP has) for naps and sleeping, or even just any basic alarm feature at all?

81. No silent alarm? One more year of waiting.

82. Does the the basis unit have basic watch functionality such as alarm, stop watch, timer, etc? If the latest version doesn’t have those capabilities, will they be considered in future versions?

• Hi Shannon, no it doesn’t have an alarm, stop watch or timer. We’ll pass along your feedback to the product team. Unfortunately, we can’t comment on possible future features or products.

83. Arnold Gonzalez says:

If we just bought the 2013 B1 can we exchange it for the new version and pay the difference?

84. Fitbit Purchaser says:

Read through the comments, and noted the questions about the silent alarm, and just wanted to add my vote and say that I, for one, intend to purchase a basis if/when that feature is added. It’s the killer app for me for this product, and to me it would make the Basis stand head and shoulders above the Fitbit.

85. Does Basis has the feature to wake you up on the optimal time in your sleep cycle like jawbone or similar apps on smartphones?

86. Just got my Carbon Steel in. Couple of questions/gripes/comments I haven’t seen addressed.

1. Why does syncing not seem to work well or at all? I paired it to my phone, have the app open, press sync on the device, it claims to be syncing, yet when I log in to mybasis.com it still shows last sync as 6:47am, it is now 11am.. So far my only successful syncs have been plugged in to the charger.

2. The list of “enhancements” is not enough. You should really sell your device, if you made a 100 improvements don’t just list cosmetic changes. This product needs more marketing. You’re competing with companies like Jawbone and Fibit. Sure you have more features but who cares if no one knows what they are?

3. I never received an email with shipping/tracking information. Furthermore I never new about the order status website. Imagine my surprise when I look on twitter, and see that you do in fact have an order status page. TWITTER, this is not advertised anywhere on the site, under support, nor the order confirmation email. Secondly after checking my order status I learned that my Basis already shipped, and was delivered! on Saturday. Fedex home left it with my complex front office, and I was completely clueless for three days, again because I never got my shipping email, and did not know how to check my order status. Great that it arrived quickly, bad customer follow-up. I understand small company, growing pains. But your customers should a priority.

For those that need it, or are searching google.

• Hi John, sorry for the delay. We have made improvements to syncing – if you are still experiencing problems, please email support@mybasis.com. We’ve expanded on the differences in the Carbon Steel Edition – thanks for your feedback. Sorry that you had an issue tracking your order status – your point is well taken and we will pass along your suggestions to our web and support teams.

87. Are you planning to expand on the habits in this next release?

88. Charissa Grandin says:

I like the white abstract art-looking band I saw at your CES booth last week. Does it work with the 2014 edition, or will you be releasing new bands to go with the 2014 edition? I like that white band best, but just read that the new 2014 band fits much better.
    Also, how quick is your shipping time after purchase? I plan to get a 2014 ed. but it’s not available on Amazon like the 2013 is and they have super fast shipping.
    Thanks.

• Hi Charissa, yes all of the straps we have currently fit either the B1 or the Carbon Steel Edition. Our fasting shipping option is Expedited Shipping which takes 2 days after the order is processed.

89. Can you comment on how the basis determines when to start sleep tracking? For example will it track sleep patterns during a mid day nap?

90. So the Carbon Steel does not have Bluetooth 3.0 or above huh?

91. Mike McDonald says:

I was surprised to receive my Carbon Steel band and find that it does not have these Advanced Sleep features like your website indicates it should. I’m assuming they are coming with the software update?

Not cool to advertise these features with the Carbon Steel band and then not deliver them out of the box.

Also, what’s up with the sync errors? I can’t get this thing to sync even half the time I try? Lots of errors. Are you working on those issues?

92. Alyssa Chance says:

Is there anything in the works to add a silent vibration alarm to the device? This is the only lacking feature that is keeping me from purchasing.

• We have had feedback about this from other customers, but we don’t currently have a specific timetable for it. However, we’ll pass your feedback on to the product team.

93. Funny there are so many people asking the same question – is the sleep analysis going to be available with my B1. READ the other Q&A’s!!!

94. Björn Lindahl says:

Hi, are there any improvements with the HR registration with the new hardware update? I was very excited about the Basis B1 when I first read about it but reading numerous reviews I got quite disappointed that the HR reading was not working very well/at all. The improved sleeping analysis is very interesting though.
    Cheers!

95. Raymond Owens says:

just received 2 carbons today via fedex for my wife and I. do they include asa 2.0 or they will update on the 21st as well?

96. Will you be able to ship to India?

97. Guillermo Bortoni Elizondo says:

I bought the carbon steel strap last year along with my basis B1. Does the new 2014 carbon steel edition model offer additional benefits compared to the 2013 B1 with the carbon steel strap?

98. Hi, when will the update be available today?

99. Is this going to happen today?

100. Kenneth Austin says:

What time today will you release the new sleep app and will it just be available via a browser or also on the iPhone?

101. it’s January 21st!

Where’s the new update? I am showing old firmware so far, when connecting my Basis Band. Very excited for the new update.

thanks!

102. So where is the update for advanced sleep tracking that is supposed to be released today?

103. It has been stated the update for the sleep anaylsis will be today, Jan. 21, 2014. Is that still going to happen and how do we get that update?

Thank you!

104. Today is the 21st!! Is the update still on track for release today? I solely bought this watch for the sleep analysis as I am a long time sleep apnea suffer, and monitoring my sleep is paramount. Only after I purchased the Carbon Steel watch did I realize that the software update to support the sleep analysis was set for a release date…of….today!! Please let us know if it is on track.

105. Pingback: Basis » Advanced Sleep Analysis is Here!

106. Its the 21st January. Where is the update I have been so looking forward to?

107. Are we still getting the update today?

108. I have an original Basis B1 preorder.

Could you be specific about the benefits of the new Carbon Steel Edition: Have any improvements or changes been made to the sensors that capture data to make it more accurate?

109. Hi I play Division 1 mens college ice hockey and i am a goaltender. I was wondering if the carbon steel edition would hold up with sports play or is only for running and non contact exercise. I’m obviously not planning on any pucks or direct contact with anything but is it resistant to any shock or rough use??

• Hi Scott! The basis tracker isn’t impact resistant, but you might want to try wearing it under a wrist guard or another form of protective gear. Generally with high impact sports you run the risk of it popping off on impact, but a team member here wears her tracker under a sweat band when she plays soccer with no problems.

110. Pingback: Fitness Trackers: Contextualizing Data | High Tech Health

111. Pingback: Advanced Sleep With Basis 2014 | Gadfit

112. Vincent Stephen Okoro says:

Please how we get it overseas…In my country Nigeria?

113. I love my Basis and seeing results after just 3 weeks! I would like to see some improvements in recognizing when I am cycling though. Alternatively send my physician an alert that I’m going into tachycardia as my HR is through the roof yet I am standing still! It can take 10 minutes pounding up a hill on my mountain bike before the watch starts counting minutes ridden sometimes. Is there a way I can kick-start the Basis into knowing that I am cycling? I.e. a motion I can emulate before or as I get on my bike?

• Dominic, glad you love your Basis! Thanks for the ideas for improvement. We’re constantly evolving both the trackers and our company and we always like hearing ideas from Basis users. If you still have troubles with the band recognizing your biking, you might want to contact support[at]mybasis[dot]com. They’ll be able to help you troubleshoot!

114. I returned my B1 due to the frequency the band would separate from the watch, even just while wearing a jacket and walking. Is the new band less likely to disconnect from the watch face? Thanks.

• Hi Doug, the Carbon Steel Edition is the culmination of improvements to the look, feel and fit. We’ve had reports that it is harder for the band to disconnect from the watch face. Thanks!

115. does the 2014 Carbon model tracks deep sleep with an EEG electrode ? If not, how ?

• Hi Marc! Both the 2014 Carbon Steel Edition and the Basis B1 trackers detect deep sleep using our advanced sensors at the wrist. We partnered with leading sleep research institutions to develop the algorithms that we use to measure sleep duration, REM sleep, deep sleep, light sleep as well as tosses and turns. Hope this helps!

116. I have used my Basis for sleep for a week now. I am trying to understand the data. Do you have more in depth information on the types of sleep and what each one means.
    i seem to stay in the light sleep for almost the entire night. my sleep percent ranges from 65% to 92%? I need help analyzing this data.

• Hi Chris! You can click on each REM, Deep, Light sleep percentage on the web or mobile app to get more information on each stage of sleep. Your sleep score is calculated by taking into account the duration of your sleep, the times awoken and the restfulness of your sleep overall. Hope this helps!

117. For what it’s worth, I’d like to chime in and ask for a firmware update that would include some kind of audible or silent (vibrating) alarm feature. So far, this is the only thing that’s lacking when I compare it against my fitbit.